Choosing a Career Path

Since I can remember, I have always been a goal oriented person. From a young age, I remember wanting to map out everything in my future and being at the top. That plan worked out pretty well until I reached my freshman year of college. The path suddenly wasn’t so clear.
For the first time in my life, I did not have a “plan.” I went to school at the University of Central Florida as an undeclared major. Taking elective classes which may not have counted towards credit frustrated me, so I transferred back home and continued my education at Nassau Community College. Studying at Nassau Community College gave me the opportunity to earn an Associates degree and explore my interests simultaneously without “breaking the bank.” I played for the college volleyball team (athletics is one of my passions) and realized I had a great interest in health, child psychology, food and nutrition. Upon graduating, I transferred to Hofstra University and began my degree in Health education.
A career as a Health educator meant teaching children about life skills to become a responsible adult. The idea of having a career where I can impact the lives of many and create lasting memories was a perfect suit. In addition, I am able to share my passion of athletics and extra-curricular activities through coaching and advising clubs. I knew I wanted to give back because some of my greatest memories happened in the school setting.
Life is unpredictable and you must learn to be able to deal with the curve balls. I was determined to do whatever it takes to compete in the education field. After coaching and substitute teaching for a year with no job luck, I decided to get an additional certification in Family and Consumer Sciences. I felt it was in my best bet to increase my eligibility in this difficult job market. The similarities between both subject areas are plentiful. Lo and behold, I am now teaching Home and Career Skills at Clarke Middle School in the East Meadow School District and loving every aspect of the curriculum. I enjoy the creative range in our field and the true importance of the skills learned in class. Home and Careers is a subject that students remember into adulthood. I take pride of the impact I am and continue to make in my student’s lives.